Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reminiscing Ilocos


In every place I go to I try to create 3 blog entries - a photoblog, a detailed account of my experience which includes the itinerary and actual expenses and insights,  thoughts that were running in my mind days before, while or shortly after the trip.


The first one that I’m always able to post is the photoblog because my trip hang over is browsing the pictures over and over again, I’m not very meticulous with pictures  nor do I indulge in photo editing or enhancing so selecting the pictures to blog and posting it is relatively easy. Next is the detailed account of the trip, I intend that this site may mainly be a source of information for budget travelers so I try hard to post this blog as soon as possible. The last thing, the most thought of and heartfelt is the insights. No doubt, thoughts are just overflowing whenever I go on a travel because of excitement,   challenges,  preparations and the waiting, more thoughts just comes in as the travel materialize because the fun and adventure is just overwhelming, and a lot of after thoughts shortly after the trip because of the many realizations and the lessons brought about by the journey.  But it’s not all the time that these thoughts are scribbled or typed in the computer, sometimes, it remains in the head!  In my sleep I dream about everything that had happened the fun and the joy would remain to tickle my imaginations for weeks but are not reduce to writing because the demands of reality would leave me no room for this expression but to relive it while at rest.

Now that I’m thinking of venturing into another trip then I realize I haven’t written my Insights about the last the trip –The Ilocos Adventure. It’s been 9 long months that I have almost forgotten how it felt! While writing I try to travel back in time to relive the moment and write about it. And then the memory comes back, this is how it exactly felt! Travelling to Ilocos was like time travel back to the Spanish period. The 10 hour back hurting ordinary bus ride was like going back to the 1600’s to 1800’s. Ofcourse there are alot of modern things that one could see in Ilocos but one will be amazed and at the same time feel grateful to the Ilocano’s for successfully preserving our heritage alongside developments.  Walking along calle crisologo  in Vigan is really nostalgic of the Spanish colonization. Visiting the old churches is also a reminder of how important religion played during the Spanish regime and how this shape our faith at present. The visit to Malacanang of the north is also an opportunity to recall how great this nation was, getting up close and personal to the Marcos’s by visiting the museum and his corpse in Batac reminded me of the great things the late President have done, that while his chapter in the Philippine history is characterize by chaos  and anarchy, it won’t hurt  to also see the goodness in him, after all, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the good just don’t forget the bad so that we will not let anyone do it to our country again! 

I will never forget my sand dune experience because it felt good to scream at the top of my lungs! At least no one gets vexed in the middle of the vast sand. It felt like I’m in a different country standing in the middle the sand dunes, it was really an amazing moment. The kapurpura rock formation was also magnificent I couldn’t stop taking pictures because every corner is just picture worthy. The Bangui windmill is gigantic and looks really lovely. My eyes felt full and justified because the real life view didn’t betray what the pictures promised. The coastal road trip in Patapat viaduct was truly wonderful!  the view of the West Philippine Sea and the zigzag road was as exciting as the thought that I am almost at the tip of the Philippines now.

My Northern Exposure made me realize even more how rich and beautiful my country is. Every now and then, I will reminisce the trip that was, and will forever be glad I did it!


1 comment:

japoy said...

Hello mam junemargarette...
Padaan lang sa blog mo.

Welcome to Ilocos..
Pagudpud - Vigan - City Tour (laoag- batac - paoay)

van rentals and accomodation.
call / text : 0905-3505090
0929-1234524