Monday, October 01, 2012

Exploring the OTHER side of SURIGAO (The Caraga Adventure)



12 years in Cebu made me speak good Cebuano but never diluted my pure Surigaonon blood!  While the Queen City of the South took me in her kind arms like her own, the beating of my heart will always cry “Surigao” as my home. This makes this trip extra special, it feels like introspection!  

Surigao City, where I come from is only the gateway to a bigger Surigao. It is high time to get to know the other side of home, thus, mission: Surigao del Sur Exploration.

The exploration was an adventure in every sense of the word. 

Let’s start with our ride; I was so surprise when I saw our habal habal ride in Mangagoy, not your typical motorcycle because it’s got an extension made of bamboo on both sides designed for cargoes and extra passengers. To get to the backseat the driver would put a wooden stick “tukod” to keep it still and passengers have to climb up those bamboo extension before jumping off to the main motorcycle! I was not prepared for this, but I have no choice but to go on unless I intend to just walk the way to Tinuy-an and all other places in Bislig. On two occasions our motorcycle fell on the ground, my second time, since my cousin’s bicycle crash and I was the back ride (this was back in elementary). I guess me and my friend were just two amateur riders who doesn’t know how to keep the balance when the road goes sloping up and down. In Hinatuan, on the way to the Enchanted River was even more challenging than the trek we had in Mangagoy  the slopes were even steeper. I don’t know if I should be glad the motor doesn’t have a wooden extension anymore but the fear isn’t any lesser at all. I was silently praying the whole time while my friend was enjoying the motocross ride! By the time we get to the Enchanted River, my knees were all weak and shaky! The last stop is Butuan- Delta Park, we had the whole big jeep on our own, and I thought that was a relief. But wait, we were like literally climbing a mountain on a jeepney ride. There was an instance on the way to their “Tubod” pool that the jeep had to traverse a very narrow road, one false move could mean a free fall! I ended up silently praying again. And on our final day, we arrive at the airport at 8:45 am, our flight is scheduled at 9:00 am but mind you, the plane left at 8:15 am, at that time I got so overwhelmed and speechless!

Let me tell you about our Hinatuan Night challenge. The night before we were set to see the enchanted river I did some research about the place. I find it more practical to stay there than go back to bislig after so we decided to get a place in the Town itself. It had been a hot sunny day not until the afternoon we were in Hinatuan, the cloud suddenly went very gloomy and suddenly poured out so heavily. Hungry as we were, we didn’t mind the pouring rain and head riding a trisikad to the best food place in town. We had a sumptuous (although service was quite slow) and affordable dinner. Little did we know that it was black out all over town and when we went out of restaurant, the streets were so dark and deserted. Through the kindness of the hostel owner, we were picked up by their caretaker and rode the trisikad again back to the hostel. Since it was just a small town, they don’t have a standby generator. We were given an emergency lamp. Out of exhaustion I fell fast asleep as soon as we arrive the place but was awaken by my friend when the emergency lamp died in the middle of the night. Shame on us, we call ourselves travelers but we don’t have emergency kits like a flashlight or a lighter (lesson learned!). Lights came back on by midnight!

The real adventure, after all, is the destination! We have succumb the challenges because we very well knew what’s in store for us and were not disappointed! True to its promise as seen online is the picturesque Tinuy-an falls! It was majestic.  It’s refreshing to the body and soul, that bathing there is like peeling you off the pressures and hustle bustle of the city life and a baptism to the laid back and relaxed rural lifestyle.  Enchanted river is magical! It’s deep, blue and cold water is irresistibly enticing. The fish feeding in the enchanted river is dramatic! It was amazing to see the fishes afloat as if gliding with the music playing to signify their meal time. This is a testament that Humans and other living things can really exist side by side and enjoy God’s gift without necessarily hurting and destroying each other. Delta discovery Park is haven for adrenalin rush seekers and a peaceful retreat to the not so adventurous!  those who loves zip linin’ would definitely enjoy the ride! While the “fearful” (me counted) can savor the scenic view of Butuan City from afar or commune with nature at its tubod pool.  

All these and more, in our CARAGA adventure tour! Now, I can say I know my place better!!!!

No comments: