Monday, March 18, 2013

Escapin' Anawangin!

Have you ever felt like getting away from all the pressures of your everyday life but don’t think it would ever be possible nowadays. With the advent of technology it seems like every corner of the world is reached by cell sites and satellites. Isn’t it that every move we take can be broadcasted in  split seconds complete with pictures as we check in our facebooks, instagram, twitters and what have we? How many times have you cut short a date, or a me time because your client, patients, or simply a friend needs you If you can totally relate to this and simply think it’s indeed impossible now to ever have that private space, read on! This might just help.

Anawangin to me was just another place to conquer. With the beautiful view I’d love to pose to and a beach I would love to experience. I was told that you will sleep in tents, under the star lights and nothing else, pretty much like girl scout camping I thought.  I know that it’s a dead spot for cellphones but didn’t really take it seriously until we got there.

It was a long travel from Baguio City to Brgy. Pundakit in San Antonio, Zambales.  And a rough ride from Pundakit to Anawangin Island itself. I’m glad there were just two of us passengers and 3 boatmen, made me feel a lot safer.  We got to the Island almost 5pm and the darkness had started to sit in. And because I fell to the waters as I alight the boat, like I normally do almost every time, I had to swim unplanned.

It was already pitch dark when I joined my friend in a table near our tent munching strawberries we picked fresh from La Trinidad. That was also the first time we realized it is indeed a dead spot! And we have tried almost all the simcards we have, but really, no network at all! We content ourselves with examining the place reaching only as far as our lamp’s light can go. We can hear laughter’s and conversation from nearby campers and see figures in the dark as they started their bonfire.  Me and my friend also shared a long conversation (the longest since we started this trip) and pretty much like the good old girl scout days too! Shortly, you will hear nothing but silence; everyone seemed to have started their retreats and vanished in slumber, my friend counted.

I was then left alone with my thoughts.  And I say here is the escape many of us should take. With nothing but just the basics, this is the quality space and time we owe ourselves for all our efforts to make life better.  This is the reward we all deserve for graciously surviving life’s everyday test. Minus the distraction, here, one could easily get lost in retrospection and get back with good finds -that is what is essential.

And then I fell asleep smiling! for it feels good to escape away from it all, even for just a day :) 

No comments: