Thursday, May 31, 2012

IN SEARCH FOR BEAUTY (conquering Mt. Pinatubo crater!)

Beauty is never easy ... this thoughts were running on my mind as I walked through what seems to be an unending journey. I can never count the number of times I asked our trek guide how far are we from the crater and the number of times I got a disappointing answer "malayo pa tayo sa kalahati ma'am", I would look as far as I can get until my mind would give up because the trek ahead seems to be unimaginable still. Had I not seen how beautiful the PINATUBO CRATER is in pictures I would doubt if this journey would ever end to something beautiful. The dusty path, rocky and treacherous mountain formation is not my idea of fun because I’m not all so fond of walking. At first the trek was overwhelming everything that I see seems new to me, the river and the rocks, the lahar mountain formation, the sky rising mountain ranges I can't help but take pictures every now and then. As the trek went on I had slowly felt myself went numb, the month long preparation of brisk walking in Abellana Sports Complex didn't really help much. But mind you, for others it was just like a walk in the park, for me though considering my weight it was such a challenge, and again I'm just not fund of walking.  The 4WD driver warned me that a number of trekkers my size wouldn't normally continue and just give up in the middle so they all challenge me to make a record. Giving up in the middle, of course not! It wasn't an option at all, I have travelled all the way from Cebu for this, and I told myself I didn't spend money for nothing...so I will get to the crater no matter what, for as long as I am conscious! :)

What was supposed to be a 1.5 to 2 hour trek, I finished in 3 hours. Of those 3 hours, I was alive and kicking for the first 30 minutes to 1 hour, the next hour after I was like a walking robot I couldn't remember what happened, have I lost consciousness but just continued walking? I don't know. The final trek when we got to the base camp was to me, the ultimate challenge. The signboard says, this is where the trek begins and an average trekker should complete the trek in 15 minutes, 20 minutes for senior citizens. It was extra challenging because it was ascending this time, very rocky, on my left were wild grasses or rocks , on the right are wild grasses again or  cliff. This part I was literally catching my breath, I went rushing not because I wanted to beat the time but was desperately needing to see the sky...the ascending trek, the narrow and dim path was chocking me. I almost gave up. 

I stopped. At first sight of a mountain and the sky, I struggled to catch my breath and listen to my heartbeat stabilize...I was about to give up when I saw yet, another sign board to my right, "WELCOME TO THE MAJESTIC CRATER OF MT. PINATUBO" ... I have a confession to tell, at that point I cried! no one knew cause I was the last to get there, yes, slower than the senior citizens. I cried because I was so tired, I cried because I have wanted this not knowing it was this hard, I cried because I'm about to see nature at its best. 
When I finally saw the crater I was in AWE! The PINATUBO CRATER is beautiful remains of a tragic past. The surrounding mountain and the refreshing green water blends so perfectly that one would think of eternal serenity...if we don't know history. It is for us to enjoy its beauty while it is still sleeping, while it is still calm. 

And then I started to feel the pains again, my feet and all over my body. Reality strikes back! I once again stared at the beauty that has caused me this pain and said to myself....BEAUTY IS NEVER EASY!  
I CONQUERED BEAUTY...I CONQUERED PINATUBO


Mt. Pinatubo Photoblog
The Trek to Pinatubo


No comments: